One problem with many of these scripts: they assume that the representative you're calling is either on the fence about cabinet nominees or will be voting for them. What do you say if your rep has already pledged NOT to vote for the nominees?
So I wrote a script for that.
Hello, I'm (NAME), a constituent in (STATE).
I’m glad that (MY SENATOR) will be voting against the confirmation of
• Jeff Sessions for Attorney General
• Rex Tillerson for Secretary of State
• Ben Carson for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
• Rick Perry for Secretary of Energy
• Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education
• Andy Puzder for Secretary of Labor
• Wilbur Ross for Secretary of Commerce
• Rep. Ryan Zinke for Secretary of the Interior
• Elaine Chao for Secretary of Transportation
• Steve Mnuchin for Secretary of the Treasury
and wanted to express my appreciation and support.
I also want to encourage (SENATOR) reach out to Senators that are more inclined to vote for (PERSON) and let them know why they are not a good choice for (POSITION).
In order to block the confirmation of (PERSON), both Democrats and Republicans will need to vote against them. It won’t be enough for (SENATOR) to cast a ceremonial “no” vote. I implore (SENATOR) to use their influence in the Senate for the good of us all.
Thank you for your time.